The orientation module of a hybrid or online course is a crucial part of the course. Some professors call it the “getting started” module or the “week zero” module because students might see it before the official first day of class. This module may serve a variety of purposes such as:
- welcoming students,
- introducing students to the course and syllabus,
- orienting students to the course site,
- informing students about appropriate behavior (netiquette),
- helping students learn technology tools,
- starting to build community within the class.
Below are examples of welcome and course site orientation videos that Hunter professors have created.
Prof. María Hernández-Ojeda’s welcome to her Spanish Civil War class.
Prof. Danielle Llaneza’s tour of her Health Behavior Change Blackboard course.